[Edu-sig] Fw: pyGeo problems: linux progress : an oddity

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:35:36 -0500

> 2.)  I have Numeric in .../site-packages and a file Numeric.pth that points
> to it.  The directory .../site-packages/Numeric appears in sys.path.
>
> 3.)   I have PyGeo in .../site-packages and a file PyGeo.pth that points to
> it.  The directory .../site-packages/PyGeo *does not* appears in sys.path.
>
> 4.)  I have an empty directory 'test' in .../site-packages and a file
> test.pth that points to it.  The directory .../site-packages/test *does*
> appears in sys.path.
>
> 5.) I have renamed .../site-packages/PyGeo, PyGeo.pth, and it's content
> pointer all to lower case 'pygeo'.  The directory *does not* appear in
> sys.path.
>
> 6.) I have recopied, rewrote, reinstalled all of the PyGeo files several
> times, makeing sure that spellings were correct, that PyGeo.pth (or
> pygeo.pth)  had no extra spaces.  (In all cases, including the cases for
> Numeric and test, the .pth file contains one word, the directory name,
> followed by a newline.)  In no case did the PyGeo directory appear in
> sys.path
>
> 7.)  I copied PyGeo into a new directory called xxx, and create xxx.pth
> pointing to the directory, and .../site-packages/xxx **does** appear in
> sys.path.   !!!   And PyGeo runs flawlessly.

I have no time to try this myself.  If others report the same thing,
open a bug report on SF.  Until then, I expect it's a quirk of your
setup.  Those generally can't be tracked down except by sitting next
to you, and I have no time for that.

> 8.) Under Win98, PyGeo and PyGeo.pth both live in c:/python22.
> c:/python22/PyGeo *does* appear in sys.path.
>
> I suppose that despite all my care, it's still possible that I misspelled
> something.  But I really tried hard.
> And if I simply unzip the PyGeo dist. into site-packages it does not work.
> If I simply unzip the PyGeo dist under Win98, it *does* work.

After unzipping PyGeo, what is left behind?  A directory named PyGeo
or just a bunch of .py files?

I think Art does all his development on Windows; it may be that he is
case-inconsistent in the spelling some module name and that that
causes the problem.  But I have no time to download PyGeo and poke at
it. :-(