[Edu-sig] politics,again

Arthur ajs at ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 6 15:16:52 EDT 2003

From: "Dethe Elza" <dethe.elza at blastradius.com>
> On Sunday, October 5, 2003, at 05:54 AM, Arthur wrote:
>
> > But where were the laws that might have protected the innovators
> > behind the
> > Speadsheet or Internet Browser from being ripped off by Microsoft and
> > driven
> > from businesses that they effectively created?
>
> Laws can't protect small companies or individuals from large companies
> because enforcing the law takes money.  Lots of money, which the big
> companies have in abundance (along with hot and cold running corporate
> lawyers).  Not to mention that laws are financed (and in some cases
> more or less written by) the large companies.  That's the situation in
> the US.  Perhaps in Europe there is a way to ensure that money doesn't
> talk?

Yes, there is a business as usual aspect to some of what Microsoft is able
to do.  A cash position of $zillions does tend to help one's legal position.
What is noteworthy is Microsoft's ability to "absorb" technology developed
by Lotus, by Netscape, by Novell, by Sun, etc. Companies that can put up a
decent fight.

I suspect money talks in Europe, at least as much as here  - perhaps with
more subtlety... but that's another discussion.

And in most places $ doesn't talk, it just rules - outright..  So I find it
hard to point fingers, in that respect.