[Edu-sig] Re: How do we tell truths that might hurt

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Apr 24 18:15:55 EDT 2004

> hmm... yes damn right.
> Let's add to the list above some examples of those in current large
> everyday
> tasks:
>
> -- Google
> -- Proteomics
> -- Shopping and Bank accounts
> -- Communications and Internet
> -- Geographic Information Systems
> -- etc

> The key skill to impart and develop is surely *thinking* clearly and
> learning how to express that clear thinking in the appropriate language,
> which include speech, prose, computer programming and also Mathematics.

Computer programming is mathematics. A stand, for which I try to quote
substantial authority. And working in Python remains programming - I know,
among other reasons, because I encounter enough people substantially better
at it than I, who have spent substantially less time with Python, in
particular, than I.  But came to it with a much better background in
programming.

Reference the thread heading. Which references Dijkstra: at

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/ewd498.html

Possibilities:

Dijsktra is wrong,
I am misinterpreting what Dijsktra means.
Dijsktra is a dead white man, so let's move on.
We don't (tell the truths that might hurt).