[Edu-sig] Re: Learn to Program in Ten Years

Dave Reed drlinux at columbus.rr.com
Sun Dec 26 23:30:32 CET 2004

On Sunday 26 December 2004 16:35, Arthur wrote:
> > I just took a look at the PyGTK 2.0 Tutorial
> > http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2tutorial/index.html
> >
> > Very encouraging to see that much documentation spelled out in a
usable
> > format.

(snip)

I've used gtk/pygtk quite a bit and gtkglext with pyopengl a little bit.
I suggest you take a look at glade for designing the interface along
with libglade for parsing it. You can find a number of
articles/tutorials about using it here (yes, one of them is by me and
discusses glade/libglade):

 http://www.pygtk.org/articles.html

I've also found the C documentation for gtk is very easy to use when
programming in Python. It is very easy to translate the C functions
that take a gtk widget as the first parameter into a method of the
specificied pygtk widget.

I've used it on Linux/Solaris, Windows XP and Mac OS X and it works fine
on all of them. If I was coding for Windows only, I'd probably pick a
different widget set, but since I have little interest in programming
for Windows right now, I think glade/gtk is a great combination.

Dave