[Edu-sig] Learn to Program in Ten Years

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Mon Dec 27 00:11:05 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 23:50 +0100, Laura Creighton wrote:

> Which reminds me.  Nearly everbody I know wants a Mac for Christmas.  So perhaps
> we are only numerating the dinosaurs here.

I actually got myself - or am getting myself - a MAC for Christmas.
Actually as hand-me-down from a friend who bought his wife a new one for
Christmas. The same friend who, BTW, advised be to buy Apple when it was
selling at 15. I didn't listen, of course. And he can afford to buy his
wife a new MAC for Christmas.  He thinks it (the stock) is still a good
buy.

It will be nice if the world comes down to a choice between KDE and
Gnome.  I know that ubuntu is moving toward making available a KDE
desktop as an alternative, within their framework.

As to wxPython, I'm afraid it just failed a test of some importance to
me.  VPython does not run interactively from PyShell or PyCrust.  It
just hangs.  It does run interactively from the native prompt and from
the Idle prompt.

Kirby:

I don't know it Patrick listens in here anymomre.  You might want to
make the wxPython-dev folks aware of this issue.  I wonder if it related
to the fact that wxPython *is* running over GTK and VPython is a GTK
window.  Anywhere it's a bit disappointing.