[Edu-sig] re: promoting computer literacy through programming python

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Thu Jan 1 21:19:57 EST 2004

> Help.  If anything the opposite. That the difficulties are inherent in
> attempting to open up such communications. And should be accepted. And
> discussion of going this way, or that way, on an issue like list indexes
> is simply irrelevant to the heart of matters.  And is not a "Disadvantage
> of Python", worthy of mention.  Despite that it might not be the first
> instinct of how things should be to someone entering the arena.

OK, thanks, clearer now.

It's the word "disadvantage" that somewhat rankles.  "This is just how it
is, get over it" is more what you're saying.  Students should be
broad-minded enough to realize that a cultural convention is just a cultural
convention.  If they can't even accommodate 0-based indexing in their lives,
how narrow their little lives will be.

I note that in some mathematics texts, A-sub-zero is the first term in a
sequence, i.e. 0-based indexing is not unknown to math-based text book
writers.  In MathCad, there's a global setting you can flip and go either
way.

My preference would be to have students become aware of these two
widely-used options.

> I happen to be a 'with cream sauce' kind of guy.
>
> Art

I like 'em both.