[Edu-sig] Needing information on Python:

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Fri Nov 5 13:58:25 CET 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 03:28:01AM -0500, John Naughton wrote:
> Yes I was wondering if there are any online sites that have free lessons
> on Python, as well as any downloadable software in which I could use to
> educate myself in Python,
>
> Thankyou,
> Mr. J.C.Naughton

You are in luck, there are plenty if sites for you. My favorite free on-line
Python tutorial for beginning programmers is the one by Josh Cogliati at:

http://www.honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/

If this is too basic for you, the main Python website has a tutorial for
experienced programmers.

Your free tutorial software is Python itself. Go to the main Python website
at www.python.org and hit the download link.  Install the version for your
type of computer (Windows, I presume.)

Once you install Python, then from the Start menu select "Programs", then
"Python 2.3", then "IDLE (Python GUI)".  When IDLE starts you should see a
window titled "Python Shell".

Now follow the examples in Josh's tutorial, starting with:

print "Hello, World!"

You're on your way!

If like me, you get completely sucked in, you'll want to get a book or two
on Python, tell everyone you meet how great Python is, try to teach your
children how to program in Python, etc.

Have fun!
David H.