[Edu-sig] Another good thing

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Nov 12 22:12:14 CET 2004

Like to report good things, to offset my crankiness.

...finding myself again lucky have hooked onto Python.

My recent lament on whither PyGeo mentioned a particular frustration with
not having the facility to do the kind of cross-platform distribution I
would like, with my current skill set.

The particulars of that lament concerned facing the learning curve of doing
a compliant Debian distribution.  That seemed to me to be a requirement, as
Debian and its off-shoots are doing the kinds of the distros that best
represent the kind of homes I would hope to find for PyGeo.

And with my ubuntu cranking, I've become more hands on with a Debian based
distro, and more a fan of apt-get (from the Synapatic interface,
particularly).

And low and behold, a check into dist-utils and it appears the contributors
have just picked up the gauntlet and are well on their way to a bdist_deb
facility for distutils.

Very swell.