[Edu-sig] RE: "Croquet Project" and Python ?

J Max jmax at sfu.ca
Fri Oct 22 00:11:09 CEST 2004

Just watching this discussion of Croquet and Squeak and Alan Kay, and
thought I'd throw in some perspective -- I'm working on a historical
study of the whole thing.

Squeak was developed at Apple in 1996, where Alan Kay had been doing
nearly invisible educational research projects (primarily the Vivarium
project) for more than a decade. Apple was in very bad shape in 1996,
and Kay managed to talk higher-ups at Apple to release it with an
open-source-ish license before leaving Apple (a lot of people left
Apple at this time). Kay and his team (and Squeak) were courted by Bran
Ferren at Disney Imagineering, and they were there until 2001, when
Eisner layed off a few thousand people; most of Imagineering left at
that point, including Ferren.

After Disney, Kay and team had had enough of corporate homes, so they
set up the Viewpoints Reseach Institute, a non-profit org that is
officially behind Squeak. Kay and a few key people are on the payroll
of HP currently, but Squeak (and Croquet, by extension) is Viewpoints'
property. The Squeak community has been working hard in the past couple
of years to clean up the copyright encumbrances of Squeak and its
license, but this has more to do with leftovers from Apple than
anything from Disney.

I think the Disney connection is getting a bit overplayed here...
Squeak is the latest instance in the convoluted history of Smalltalk's
dual nature: as educational environment and as a 'professional'
prgramming environment -- a tension that's been there since the early
1970s. Kay has always been unambiguously on the side of the educational
vision.

If anyone's interested in the historical pieces, I've collected a lot
of them at:

   http://thinkubator.ccsp.sfu.ca/Dynabook/

  - John Maxwell
    jmax at sfu.ca