[Edu-sig] CP4E (states cgi demo)

John Miller jmillr at umich.edu
Tue Apr 12 22:33:08 CEST 2005

I like it. Thanks, Kirby. I'd simply like to suggest a couple of minor
modification to the quiz.

When I go to the quiz, I'm overwhelmed by the number of choices in the
popup, and find it difficult to find the right city. How about instead
populating the popup with the correct city plus, say, half-a-dozen to a
dozen other randomly selected other cities? (I realize that with
repeated refreshes, a cheater could eventually eliminate all but the
right choice...)

Also, going the other way is useful: "Lansing is the capital of which
state?"

I'm also wondering about managing the data when a class scales it up.
For example, I can imagine extending the data beyond the USA to include
countries and their capitals. Now we need another column to indicate
the region of interest for the quiz. Not too hard. Now let's imagine
other sorts of quizzes, e.g., "Which of these 8 cities is NOT in South
America?" Now each database row has another column listing major
cities. And this, of course, is best handled relationally. My question
is, how can the data be managed, and grown, by the students in an
educationally relevant way?

I guess I'm wondering not only about partitioning the data, but also
partitioning the learning. One way would be for each student (or small
team) to maintain their own set of (largely identical) data. Another
approach might be for each student (or team) to maintain different sets
of data. And if these different datasets are to be related, students
need to coordinate their efforts. (And then, layer in the various
quizzes that could be developed...)

I haven't had the opportunity to teach programming yet, so I'm curious
how those who have might approach the data-management aspect in this
scenario Kirby is sketching.

John Miller