[Edu-sig] re: Beyond CP4E

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Apr 16 15:29:55 CEST 2005

> From: Kirby Urner [mailto:urnerk at qwest.net]
> To: 'Arthur'; edu-sig at python.org
> Subject: RE: [Edu-sig] re: Beyond CP4E
>

> There's a difference sure.  Not all kids are lucky enough to have direct
> access to originals -- Vatican Library a case in point.  What you get in
> cyberspace may well be "second best" in many cases.  But then, considering
> the situation globally, the choice is often between "second best" and
> "none
> at all."

I think if you took a harder look at the bandwagon of desktops on each
students station you would conclude that the effect in practice will be
second best at the expense of something better in a large percentage of the
cases - and even worse, standardization around all of these compromises.

What seems to entice you is in recognizing the technology as disruptive, and
therefore an opportunity around which to organize change.  And I recognize
how seductive that opportunity seems. And sympathize. But disagree, based
not on a judgment as to your intentions.  Inadvertently, in my view,  you
are drumming in beat with folks looking to provide simple answers to complex
questions, and for the wrong reasons. And diverting our attention - this
thread being an example.

> Speaking of Shakespeare, I think the computer has brought us as close as
> we've ever come to Prospero's books.  Check Google if the allusion isn't
> clear.

Google.  Humbug. I'll walk to the library. ;)

Art