[Edu-sig] Dynamic Worksheets

Lee Harr missive at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 22 00:16:54 CET 2005

>What I'd like to provide is high bandwidth, over-the-wire learning
>experiences, preferably on big plasma, with sensurround sound, that fully
>leverage our capacity for imagination.

Maybe I am a purist, but how does high bandwidth multimedia bring
on the imagination? Seems to me that the kid who turns a rock in to
a spaceship is using more imagination than the kid who sits back and
lets the 3-d virtual reality space complex blast him in to orbit around
the planet Boredium.

It is a very fine line to walk. We want to keep their attention, of course,
but we also want them to create things that we could never have
imagined ourselves.

If education is entertainment, where is the incentive to create?

Maybe the boredom is an integral part of the educational experience.
"These old fogies are so boring. There must be a better way to do this!"