[Edu-sig] IDLE refusing to run

John Zelle john.zelle at wartburg.edu
Fri Jan 21 22:31:28 CET 2005

Just for further information on this, the newest versions of IDLE (1.1
for sure and 1.04 I think), have improved messages about what is going
on when IDLE won't start due to the socket being in use (from the
hanging process).

One thing that causes IDLE to crash in this bad way is when a student
kills the shell window when the program that it is executing is waiting
for interactive input. This is a bug for which a patch is now available,
but has not yet been incorporated into the Python release. You can get a
fix for this particular problem from my page:
http://mcsp.wartburg.ed/zelle/python
The information on patching IDLE is at the very bottom.

I think with this patch IDLE has become quite stable again under
Windows. Sadly, I'm now having troubles with random lock-ups when
running on a Debian Linux Testing distribution. I think it's a problem
with one of the Debian libraries, but have not yet been able to pin it down.

--John