[Edu-sig] Hypertoons!

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Mon Mar 14 05:01:11 CET 2005

Thank you for these pointers John.  I'm hungry to play this in stereo,
primitive as it is, but a source of frustration in my life is I've lost that
whole stack of paper 3d glasses I handed out (and collected back) at OSCON
2004.  So this project to view in stereo is on hold.  I'll search for the
glasses again soon (box?), and/or invest in another stack (I want to at
least have them by April, for use in class).

On another front, of course I've fantasized about firing off two Hypertoon
classes, each within the same domain of scenarios, but each running on its
own thread, traveling the network solo (with threading essentially giving
equal time to each).  Once you've got two threads, you can get any number
(processor limits make too many impractical).

Given the way these toons are designed (they all traverse within what Fuller
called the concentric hierarchy in synergetics), multiple play heads would
play well together, adding to the intricacy of the effect.  Plus I need more
scenarios to begin with (growing and shrinking balls, stuff
unfolding/refolding, tetrahedron inside-outing, more complete jitterbug...).

Hopefully this Hypertoon idea goes open source in a big way.  I've been
trying to get it going since 1996, but people only really start to get it
when they have working source code, i.e. obviously what I'm talking about is
highly doable.  And not just in Python (but hey, what a wonderful world in
which to prototype!).

Kirby