[Edu-sig] Re: Edu-sig Digest, Vol 22, Issue 1

Toby Donaldson tjd at sfu.ca
Sun May 1 20:02:19 CEST 2005

Hi,

You are welcome to look at --- any use or modify any of the materials
--- from our course website for the initial offering at Surrey of the
Python-based CMPT 120:
http://sweetness.typepad.com/cmpt_120_sfu_surrey_fall2/

Highlights include:

  - three different sets of instructor notes
  - a set of weekly programming labs
  - two sample midterm exams (with solutions)
  - two sample final exams (with solutions)
  - as glossary of terms (generated via a Python script):
http://sweetness.typepad.com/cmpt_120_sfu_surrey_fall2/files/glossary.html
  - some vocabulary crossword in the form of interactive Java applets:
http://sweetness.typepad.com/cmpt_120_sfu_surrey_fall2/puzzles/index.html

This course didn't cover any object-oriented programming.

Two comments on your FAQ:

  - "yield" does not quite give you the full power of continuations, and
so anyone who expects that will be disappointed (or relieved, depending
upon your attitude and experience with them!).
   - I would think that if you end up using Python and require that all
function arguments be explicitly type-checked, then it might not be the
best choice of language. Yes, you *can* do a lot of type-checking with
assert, but that quickly lays waste to any claims of Python being "low
overhead".

Toby