[Edu-sig] Knuth's books.

Beni Cherniavsky cben at users.sf.net
Thu Nov 10 20:49:08 CET 2005

El sáb, 05-11-2005 a las 20:55 -0800, Scott David Daniels escribió:
> They are all tough books, but none gratuitously so.  Concrete
> Mathematics targets (smart) undergraduates, and so might be a more
> accessible start.  It certainly reads faster than the Fascicles,
> which go at the same rate as the rest of TAoCP.

Concrete Mathematics is wonderful!  I dropped it around the middle for
lack of time (the later chapter do require concentration and memory) -
but it's the single best math book I ever read.  And it strongly
connects to Kirby's ideas about a parallel non-calculus math track.
This book develops that kind of math thinking.

I tried TAoCP but was dissatisfied because it seems to touch the
algorithmic side of programming but ignore the beauty-of-code side.
Things like "Thou shall not work in assembler" ;-).  I like the spirit
of Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs much better.

--
Not "Did" anything, just "Did".  Some things were Done and some things
were not Done.  And the things that were Done, Igors Did.