[Edu-sig] Knuth's books.

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Nov 11 04:02:40 CET 2005

Why assembly?

Quoteth Knuth:

"""
I cannot afford the time to rewrite my books as languages go in and out of
fashion; languages aren't the point of my books, the point is rather what
you can do in your favorite language. My books focus on timeless truths.

Therefore I will continue to use English as the high-level language in
TAOCP, and I will continue to use a low-level language to indicate how
machines actually compute. Readers who only want to see algorithms that are
already packaged in a plug-in way, using a trendy language, should buy other
people's books.
"""

I have not approached TAOCP as of yet, so cannot say to what extent I will
be able to adjust to the assembler presentation.  Though if I can, I am sure
it will be very good medicine.