[Edu-sig] Python as Application

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Oct 28 16:05:35 CEST 2005

Interesting how they cornered the market.  A good browser - costing millions
of dollars to development - has a retail value of zero, by the rules of the
game set by Microsoft.

What is actually amazing is that there remains as much substantial
competition as there is, and that this is the first area where Microsoft has
shown its vulnerability and began to loose market share.  Though I don't
fully understand what drives the Mozilla project, for example.  Is there a
business model there?  My best sense is that it is supported by industry
sources in a brilliant counter-offensive - delivering the message in
concrete terms that Microsoft will *not* realize potentials. Setting the
stage for other counter-offensives.

This together with the fact that Microsoft has never been technological
innovators, but consolidators and packagers who have now driven the
innovators away from innovating in any way that is vulnerable to their reach
- leaving them with little new to consolidate and package - my investment
advise is to short Microsoft.

> >Do I care that I am made to feel that this point of view is somehow
> >radical on a educational forum that is an offshoot of an open source
> >software community.
> >

> Hmm... more like "preaching to the choir" isn't it?

One would think.  But my disappointment with the Open Source movement is the
extent to which it can be literalist and legalistic.

When Alan Kay takes the stage from the Disney pulpit as the educator of the
new age, he should be universally be booed off the stage - as a matter of
principle, principle being a very practical thing.  I don't need to read the
Squeak license to know that.  Others seem to get distracted by that issue.