[Edu-sig] Visual Programming in Python?

Douglas S. Blank dblank at brynmawr.edu
Thu Apr 13 18:56:12 CEST 2006

Python edu-sig,

I've been thinking about a visual programming/flowchart interface for
Python and was wondering if anyone knows of such a project. I am imaging
a Tkinter canvas (initially) with which one can add blocks that
represent statements, branches, loops... everything. Further, I imaging
that this would save (and load) real Python code, so that you could suck
in raw code, it would get parsed, and shown as a flowchart. Maybe some
additional data would be stored in comments (zoom amount,
positions/colors/properties of particular boxes). Also, one could step
through the chart, block-by-block.

I've seen some commercial (and open source/non-Python) products, but
they seem heavy and sluggish, as if a whole lot of processing is going
on behind the scenes. Is/would it really be that hard?

Any pointers or comments appreciated,

-Doug

--
Douglas S. Blank       Computer Science
Assistant Professor    Bryn Mawr College