[Edu-sig] Visual Programming in Python?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 18:08:13 CEST 2006

> PyLogo wouldn't be particularly useful teaching Python, since it isn't
> Python.  But it makes it possible to share infrastructure and
> environment between the two languages.  So (barring some small details)
> you could run VPython from Logo, and the students would be building
> familiarity with that model.  And I think there's no reason VPython in
> Logo would look much different than in Python -- the core concepts there
> aren't bound to the language, they are bound to the domain of 3D modeling.

I think implementing swimming turtles within VPython, using pure
Python modules and syntax, is a viable approach.  I might just use
IPython as a command line shell, and have kids instantiate and
instruct their turtles from there.  VPython would be the view.
Modules (perhaps organized in an __init__ package) would supply the
model (command line is controller).