[Edu-sig] re-doing GvR in xturtle

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 21:22:50 CEST 2006

On 8/12/06, Scott Chapman <scott_list at mischko.com> wrote:
[snip - discussion about what is needed to get rur-ple working within
a browser; first, getting a "world builder"]

> I'd suggest making world building work in the browser without an external
> application.  This should be easily done with information from these examples:

[many good reference sites containing examples deleted...]

> >[André wrote:]
> > Any help of any kind (even creating little toy programs/samples) would
> > be appreciated!
>
> I'll see what I can do!
>
> Scott

Now that Scott has volunteered publicly ;-), I thought I'd issue a
challenge to other edu-sig subscribers: Who is interested in writing a
short mini-tutorial (it can be a single html page, a few screen long)
on a topic of interest to you, that would involve the reader into
trying out the code (even if it's simply executing it by clicking
button, but ideally should suggest trying out changes, etc.) and which
could be included in Crunchy's distribution?   For example, would
Gregor be interested in writing a short intro to x-turtle?   Or do you
have a short doctest-based tutorial you've been thinking about?   Or
perhaps, you've been thinking of possible exercices to use with "How
to think like a computer scientist".

As for "rur-ple", one "conceptual hurdle" I was facing was how to
reproduce the ability to start/pause/resume the program which was
relatively easy to do with Python but which seems much more
complicated with javascript (given that javascript animations use
either setTimeout or setInterval to get them started ... with no
obvious hook into a way to pause and resume the animation).
However, inspired by Scott's search, I searched some more on my own
and found the following:

http://www.adrian.zentner.name/content/projects/javascript/easyAnimation/index.html

Anyone interested in working on javascript-based animation  to be
included within Crunchy (and accessible by the end user by programming
in pure Python) is welcome to join in!

André