[Edu-sig] [BULK] Re: Who are these people???

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Dec 1 18:49:30 CET 2006

----- Original Message -----From: Peter Chase Date: Friday, December 1, 2006 11:28 amSubject: Re: [BULK]  Re: [Edu-sig] Who are these people???To: Arthur Cc: "edu-sig at python.org" Peter Chase wrote:
Who was it that stated they would prefer to be governed by the first 500
people in the Cambridge telephone book than the Harvard faculty?  (I
think it was WFB.)  Same goes for MIT.

But it's even more complicated then that, when you get to the issue of
the Media Labs funding model - not run-of-the mill academic funding.

Don't want to get pigeon-holed by going into some kind of paranoiac sounding rap.

How relevant its unorthodox funding model is or is not to the more fundamental bases for my distaste - don't know myself.

But this isn't the MIT faculty in any traditional sense.
Some would agrue that this is just a more explicit form of  what hasalways been implicitly true in institutions like of MIT. But of course those some are commies ;)Art