[Edu-sig] Textbooks

Daniel Ajoy dajoy at openworldlearning.org
Sun Feb 26 15:52:10 CET 2006

On 26 Feb 2006 at 9:04, Arthur wrote:

> > >Really_ can any of those tools be used to program tacitly?
> > >That is without the need to use variables (with the help of
> > >"forks", "hooks" and the like)?
>

> Expressed as someone in touch with esoteric knowledge.
>
> I am guessing it's a Logo thing.
>
> Are you willing to expand?

I just wanted to verify the claim that some Python modules
really incorporate J semantics.

> What is the importance of being able to program "tacitly"?

You don't need to worry about variables or function parameters
if you do.

> More basic - what do you mean by programming tacitly?

The concept is also called Function-level programming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function-level_programming

http://www.jsoftware.com/books/help/jforc/tacit_programs.htm

> Does the fact that I don't find your explanation adequate indicate some
> problem in my knowledge base? My worldview?

Who am I to judge what is a problem to you?

Daniel