[Edu-sig] Elementary graphics library

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Jun 1 07:19:28 CEST 2006

Dethe-

Thanks for these other links and comments (especially on wx).

Putting all the dozens of options together, I definitely think PyCairo
makes a lot of sense because it has been adopted under Linux for GTK (and
for Mozilla), so it almost certainly has a future, and would make a solid
choice for the library of drawing my own cross-platform widgets, and would
avoid me even wanting to write a cross-platform compatibility layer
because I could just use it as is (which relates to the original poster's
question, although in their case I can still see the point to a
simplifying wrapper for education, though less so the need to have
multiple back ends).

However, there is an ancient Chinese proverb that when confronted with
making a decision between 100 different alternatives(*), the best choice
is always to "Run Away!". :-)

So, along those lines, I decided to start using TK again (used in the
first PataPata proof of concept) for several reasons including mostly it
is the Python default. I am trying to use its widgets rather than draw my
own, and ignore cross-platform font problems, speed issues, bitmap drawing
issues, and so on for now. I wanted something to give me some fast
progress on the HyperCard/widget front, and at least now I can drag TK
buttons now under GTK 2.6 with proper feedback. Though who knows what else
will be broken or missing -- I already had to borrow Idle's tree widget.
:-) I am also stuck with the tk canvas for drawing (until I understand how
PIL works? Or until PyCairo can render to a TK Canvas or Frame?) Also on
the plus side, OpenGL should then be available through togl (though I have
not tried that, looks like it may no longer be supported?).

Still liking wx for general stand-alone applications though. :-)

The funny thing is, since PataPata is its own Squeak-like beast, the TK
widgets actually look kind of funky and retro in it. :-)

Amazing how much of these decisions often hinge on easy installability and
ready availability. So, as another comment for the original poster, can TK
as a backend meet the basic graphics operations desired?

--Paul Fernhout
(*) Or a nasty rabbit with long sharp pointy teeth.