[Edu-sig] Accessibility to non CS types?

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Jun 1 06:42:17 CEST 2006

Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
> BUT, I'm stuck on
> intercepting all ALT mouse activity so embedded widgets can be dragged
> without messing with their individual events handlers (which I could do as
> in a try with passing on right click menu events [like I did with the wx
> Button], but is inelegant and may have other problems).

Well, as a follow up, I could not find an easy way to do what I wanted
elegantly, so rather than continue to be bogged down with that, for now I
did it the cheap-and-dirty way of overriding mouse event handling in each
widget, so now the TK version supports (in a bare-bones fashion) the TK
Button, Label, Entry, and Text widgets (and the exampel world file makes
one of each type). Also, I added into the source a slightly hacked version
of the idlelib TreeWidget to get a tree. I put the source into SVN because
I know at least under Debian that Idle is a separate install, so I didn't
want to count on that being there for now, though I would have rather used
a library version of a tree. Still no inspector or shell (although I guess
I could eventually drop in a TK Idle editor window or shell now that it
supports wrapping TK widgets. :-)

Anyway, hopefully it shows the hope that those non CS types could soon be
dragging their Tkinter GUIs around and customizing them as Francois
demonstrates. And after that, hopefully someday it is on to Cairo. :-)

--Paul Fernhout