[Edu-sig] IDLE wish (was Edu-sig Digest, Vol 31, Issue 16)

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Mar 3 15:59:26 CET 2006

For those who don't follow it, the most recent post to the IDLE-dev list
was, to me, interesting.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/idle-dev/2006-February/002442.html

Stani is the author of SPE, an Python IDE that is generally on everybody's
top XXX list of free Python IDEs.  He is also a Blender guy, and, I'm told,
an artist.

It no longer surprises me that there has been no public response to Stani's
post.

Since Guido stopped his personal development efforts, IDLE seems to have
become the Phone Company's IDE, Anti-Agile to an extreme.

One argument against an "official" turtle.py module, is that it will be the
Phone Company's Turtle, and the forces of agility and merit will be lost.
To me it is better if folks wanting a serious turtle graphics implementation
expect to look for it outside the standard distribution.

I am perfectly aware that my approach to these discussion is not likely to
get me liked.  Kirby, we know, is weird ;).

But if I had no passion around the issues that arise, it would be easy
enough to approach the discussions otherwise.  Probably my approach is
Anti-Effective - so the "serious" discussion is perceived to be the one that
is held without any overt passion.  Too bad.