[Edu-sig] Introducing classes

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 16:47:49 CET 2006

On 3/4/06, Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.net> wrote:
> [...]

Personally, I find it motivating to hear about other people's "behind
the scene thoughts" about their programming projects.

> This resonates highly with how I have spent a good deal of my free time the
> last month.  Among my follies with PyGeo is trying to bring some life and
> reality to the concept that the code is its text - both in terms of tying
> together programming and functionality, and in tying together analytic
> mathematics with geometry and the sensible world.

This is very reminescent of Knuth's literate programming concept.  I'd
be curious to see what you think of Leo, the Python based
outliner/editor.  I don't use it myself, as I find it to be too much
of a barrier between my brain and my code ;-)

> Part of the problem there is of course making one's code worthy.  Not sure I
> can ever solve that with full satisfaction - but starting from little
> things, I don't think you will be able to find a line in PyGeo anymore - far
> from where it was - that is not orthodox in terms of something as simple and
> 'unessential' as indentation.

You made me curious, and I had to see what you meant. I only looked at
the vpyframe.py file. I think I understand one thing: you use
"inconsistent" indentation (mostly 3 spaces, a few times 4 spaces or 5
spaces.  Python, being Python, makes the structure of your code
understandable.  However, as I use indentation guides set at 4 spaces
in my editor, your indentation choices make it a bit more difficult
for _me_ to read.

[snip]

> And where it has led me recently is on a journey connected to automated
> documentation, having become enamored by what the Pudge documentation
> project is trying to do - essentially auto generating context sensitive
> hyperlinks between reStructured text doc strings and nicely colorized html
> versions of the source code.

[snip]

> Pudge cite:
>
> http://pudge.lesscode.org/