[Edu-sig] Errors in Wikipedia entry for IronPython?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed May 10 03:17:16 CEST 2006

On 5/9/06, Dethe Elza <delza at livingcode.org> wrote:

> days.  Using a huge VM designed for statically compiled languages to
> run dynamic languages on is a neat trick, it's cool that it can be
> done, but it's not something I actually see much point in using over
> CPython's own VM.

In the case of the CLR, I think it *was* designed with dynamic
languages in mind, but Jim Hugunin thought it wouldn't prove out, and
Python would make an excellent case study showing why.

To his surprise, the CLR proved worthy, and IronPython was born.

I assume Mono could run on OS X.
http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:OSX

However, to be realistic, the current almost-out-of-beta IronPython
requires .NET 2.0.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't run on the most current
production version of Mono yet, although I could be wrong and would be
happy to be corrected.

http://www.mono-project.com/Mono_Project_Roadmap

I could try it myself, but am steeped in Panda3D for now.

I feel pretty confidant that Mono and .NET will be a cross-platform
solution favored by many Python developers, including those looking
for control over the kinds of OpenGL-type applications we've been
brainstorming here on edu-sig.