[Edu-sig] Setting a variable's value

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu May 11 16:18:41 CEST 2006

> I don't believe in adding special notation specifically designed for
> beginner's sake - even though I am dedicated in making Python as easy
> to learn as possible.
>
> André

Right.

Also, math notations which went to the trouble to be self-executing on
a machine (like APL), in some sense deserve our respect for their
precision and consistency.

Maybe it's plain old, non-executing (dead) algebra that should change.

Phase in Python notation much earlier and discuss the old pre-Python
use of the assignment operator as "from a different namespace"
(perhaps deprecated).

Just because a bunch of oldies used typography the way they did,
doesn't mean we have to warp everything we do in future to be backward
compatible.

I look at self-executing math notations as defining a cutting edge,
not as poor imitators of some obsolote text book way of doing things.

In fact, why do we teach "algebra" at all in the old fashioned sense?

In my view, tackling this set of topics without a computer language is
indefensible except in cases where some invading/conquering power has
an agenda of keeping the kids dumb (in which case, the *real* schools
have to go underground, as is happening in the USA).

Kirby