[Edu-sig] Setting a variable's value

Kevin Driscoll driscollkevin at gmail.com
Thu May 11 19:49:17 CEST 2006

How timely!  I just finished teaching this exact nuance to my 9th
graders an hour ago!  We began by assigning strings, floats, and
integers to a set of variables to demonstrate how variables different
from Algebra to Python.

When it came to = vs. ==, it was easy to reference the earlier work
and say, "Here's another place where Python and your Algebra notation
differ."

I heard no complaints and only saw one or two errors in students' code.

I have to admit that := seems more confusing as it looks a lot like
comparison operators >=, <=, and !=.  (Plus, it chills the Pascal in
my bone marrow!)

Kevin