[Edu-sig] The fate of vpython

Dan Crosta dcrosta at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Oct 6 14:55:55 CEST 2006

I don't know much about VPython or NumPy, but I've been involved in
both contributing to and forking open source projects, from both
sides, and I would caution against forking a project unless you're
planning to take it in a new direction, or if there's some other
compelling reason not to continue contributing from the main branch.

If the author of VPython is not planning to work on it for several
months and you aren't planning to do anything other than make it
compatible with a soon-to-be released version of one of its
dependencies (is that the relationship b/w VPython and NumPy?), then
why not carry on work from 4.0b5? Surely the dev will welcome any
contributions which reduce work he'd later have to do anyway. He may
even be willing to give you write access to the repository if you can
demonstrate to him your willingness to work hard and ability to rally
the troops of that class at Cornell.

This way you avoid duplication of work, since the VPython devs will
neither have to duplicate your compatibility patches nor port your
patches from 3.x to 4.0. The community is almost always better served
by contribution than by forking, IMO.

- d