[Edu-sig] The fate of vpython

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Oct 6 15:51:25 CEST 2006

Dan Crosta wrote:

>If the author of VPython is not planning to work on it for several
>months

The situation is that the actual authors of vpython are gone, as in
graduated, moved on with their lives...

Bruce is more an adminstrator/funder (through a NSF grant) of the project.

Essentially there is no developer as such involved in the project at
this point.  Which is why I am concerned.

> and you aren't planning to do anything other than make it
>compatible with a soon-to-be released version of one of its
>dependencies (is that the relationship b/w VPython and NumPy?), then
>why not carry on work from 4.0b5?

Because it is has "serious bugs", and I have no motivation to even try
to address those serious bugs at this time since they are
less serious, to me, than the lack of NumPy compatibility.

And because it is more realistic that I, working alone, might be  able
to get to the Numpy issue - less so thatI can get to the bugs. I assume
forward
porting a Numpy fix would be a small issue - but, as I say, I am not
counting on the 4.xxx branch getting revived and until it does I think it
is more important to keep the 3.xxx branch alive and healthy.

If nothing develops here I might take the route of trying to implore the
scipy folks into taking some interest in the problem.  For them it might
represent only a few hours work to at least get the Numpy compatibility
issue resolved.  In fact, moving the project under the scipy umbrella
might be just the thing.

Except only that as part of scipy it will perceived in its more serious
aspect and the fact that it makes a great little toy for beginners to
play with will
get lost..  This versality is what I think is so significant about the
project, and why I have concerns as to its fate.