[Edu-sig] IronPython 1.0 on Slashdot

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Sep 7 08:41:23 CEST 2006

dblank at brynmawr.edu wrote:

>I'm working on porting our Python Robotics and associated AI code to
>IronPython.

Don't know which came first, the chicken of the egg, but is it
presumptuous to assume that Microsoft's funding of

    Institute for Personal Robots in Education at Bryn Mawr is not
    totally unrelated to your decision to make the port.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/jul06/07-12robotics.mspx

There was a time in the not too distant past where it would not seem
quite as wild-eyed radical to suggest some level of discomfort with even
the appearance of corporate funding influencing academic outcomes. At a
minimum it seems to me that you should make sure that your audience is
aware of the facts when posting an opinion about the good works of
Microsoft from your academic perch.

I have nothing in particular against Microsoft. I do believe that
technology has been a factor among factors disruptive of some sensible
levels of sensitivity to issues connected to the corporate sponsorship
of academic and educational endeavors. Not here in particular, but
certainly in general, I think it has indeed had a tremendous impact in
influencing the debate about the role of technology in education. There
is little academy left, in its more idealized sense - from what I can
tell, at least in the US. Things *really are* different, really have
evolved into something else again. My own sense is that necessary
equilibriums have been disturbed, and instead of Kirby's triumphalism
about the role of technology and the Silicon Forest - I feels something
closer akin to dread. There is evolution, and there are evolutionary
dead-ends.

Another friendship secured, I'm sure.

Art