[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

Douglas S. Blank dblank at brynmawr.edu
Fri Sep 8 16:54:29 CEST 2006

Kirby,

As a teacher, I don't have time to argue over on python-dev what should
and should not be included in the language. And don't want to! I am
thinking of our "petition nonsense" as a data point for those people
that do take the time over on python-dev to figure out the best thing to
do next, and I'll trust them.

It seemed to at least a few people on the list that python-dev'ers may
not have fully considered the ramifications of this particular change in
regards to teaching. We simply want to let them know about this
oversight. John has written probably the best-selling textbook for intro
Python; if he is concerned, then they should at least take a second look
at it (whatever "it" might be.)

As far as I understood the discussion about removing "print", it was to
remove it as an expression and add it as a function. This is a good move
(in my opinion) because it is now even more parallel with input(), and
makes more sense, and makes it more useful. If the discussion was to
turn "print" into "sys.stdout.write()" then I think some teachers would
again be upset, and rightly so. Maybe they should rename it output()
though. :)

Now, it's time for the semester to begin... ACK

-Doug