[Edu-sig] creating an interface vs. using one (Michel Paul)

Michel Paul mpaul at bhusd.k12.ca.us
Sat Sep 23 17:34:21 CEST 2006

> I don't quite understand where OO fits into math education

Fractions can be an example.  A fraction is not "really" a decimal.  Students treat fractions as though they were unfinished division problems, but a fraction is a two-part data structure, just like complex numbers.  In terms of data structures, fractions and complex numbers are similar kinds of things.  Students already study how to algebraically represent the behaviors of fractions and complex numbers.  With a little tweaking, they could be creating classes.  Complex numbers already exist in Python, of course, but I think it would be a very good thing for math students to create their own complex number class.  Kirby has great examples of what you can do with a rational number class.

There could also be line classes, parabola classes, etc.  The typical stuff that we have kids learn in the Algebras could be put into OO terms.  A line object could tell you its x an y intercepts, could tell you if it contained a given point, could tell you its point of intersection with another line object, etc.

>Let me ... ask if Python has a way to plot a function
>that's as easy as on the TI.  Without that I think
>it's going to be a very tough sale, unfortunately.

Yeah, that's the main wall I run into.  If there was an EASY way - something as easy as turtle - that would be excellent.  Does anyone on the list know of a simple to use Python function plotter?  Something you could just hand over to beginners?

I know Kirby has done stuff with ray tracing - but I still have to learn about that.  The kinds of things you CAN graph with Python are amazing, 3-d and so on, but it requires a bit of effort.

Something I saw at the SciPy conference was SAGE - Symbolic Algebra Geometry Explorer.  It was really amazing.  It's something I'd like to explore more, but using it requires a little knowledge of Unix.  You can't just hand it over to a typical student or teacher and have them run with it - requires some tinkering.

- Michel