[Edu-sig] Scratch interface for Python, and network programming games.

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Thu Aug 23 19:51:25 CEST 2007

Michael Tobis wrote:

> I am also thrilled by the idea of Scratch in Python, but this brings
> us up against the limitations of the web. The fact that Scratch apps
> can be shared on the web is a crucial advantage. Could Python Scratch
> be targeted to Jython to provide sharability?

To Jython, or if we keep to the limited functionality of Scratch, to
Flash, which would be more self-contained (and faster) than Java.
Another advantage to using PyGame is that we could provide export to
self-contained executables, to run the games on Mac, Windows, or
Linux.  Scratch itself has not yet been ported to Linux (sad, since it
is built on top of Squeak, which runs fine on Linux), keeping it off
of platforms such as XO and my trusty N800.

I like the idea of virtual Roombas, especially as a leaping-off point.
 I can imagine kids costomizing their Roombas: spinning blades, laser
turrets, even Steampunk Roombas.  Once they have a platform to build
on, anything is possible.

Lots of interesting ideas here.  Anyone else interested in this project?

--Dethe