[Edu-sig] Scratch interface for Python, and network programming games.

Clare Richardson clare at girlstart.org
Mon Aug 27 16:08:45 CEST 2007

There's an intro CS course at UT Austin that has an assignment where
students create "critters" that can eat each other, etc, and the
students in the class have a big tournament to see whose critter is the
last man standing.  This is often the favorite assignment of the
semester, and many students from past years even come back for the

The assignment comes in two parts:
1) Write an interpreter for the "Critter language"
2) Define your own Critter in the Critter language

The class assignment is in Java, but could easily be turned into Python.

The project description and code are on this page:

Clare Richardson
Technology and Program Coordinator