[Edu-sig] OLPC news

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Mon Dec 31 03:14:38 CET 2007

Jeff,

Have you been monitoring the development and games lists on laptop.org?
There is a certain amount of noice, but here has also been some
interesting discussion of using pygame and the new olpc-games framework.
And there has also been some discussion of the little Python IDE in the
XO, Pippy.

Walter's summaries are exhaustive and well worth the read, but they
don't deal with specifics.

But still, it's hard - I have an advanced high school Python class
working on coding an XO app and it's been a struggle to get a clear idea
of how things work.

On the other hand, most of the core developers (with some exceptions)
have been very good about responding and answering questions.

Cheers,
Vern

Jeff Rush wrote:
> kirby urner wrote:
>> Walter Bender is a good source of OLPC news for those of
>> you in Python Nation tracking the spread of Python by this
>> vector (both as an under the hood engine, and as a user
>> friendly API).
>
> Can you give contact info or a blog for this Walter Bender?  I've been trying
> to find the hotbed of Python activity for OLPC and haven't found it yet, and
> I'm unfamiliar with Walter.
>

>> Not to worry, I won't be flooding edu-sig with cross-posts;
>> I save most of the OLPC stuff for my blogs.
>
> Cross-posts -from where-?  I'd like to get on that list to get more involved
> with OLPC.  We've got six XO laptops here in the Dallas Pythoneers but haven't
> managed to form a community yet, so finding a good list would help.
>
> Don't get me wrong - there are LOTS of lists for OLPC; I'm looking for the one
> with knowledgeable Python people motivated to actually produce 'activities'
> for the XO, not critique it or hand-wave about it.  People with answers, not
> just questions.
>
> -Jeff

This time for sure!
    -Bullwinkle J. Moose