[Edu-sig] a non-rhetorical question

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 06:49:01 CEST 2007

> I've tried showing the kids VPython in the first week or two, and they think
> it's cool and can type stuff in but they have -no idea- what any of it
> means.  I have not thought of a way to use it as anything other than
> entertainment.
>
> I would love to hear from someone who feels that they have a fairly
> successful high-school programming class. Specifically, I'd love to know in
> some detail what you cover in the first month.

I know some say "Kirby's stuff doesn't count" because high schoolers
pay money to take my class and are hence "motivated" (not fair!),
but I do consider my classes somewhat successful, in terms of high
marks for the teacher (they grade me, but not vice versa, confidentially
but I'm told I do well).

The very day I get back from Lithuania, I start another class.  3.5 hours
a day for four days.  Rather intensive (especially with jet lag).  Lots
of VPython, POV-Ray, and maybe some X3D.

I've written up my classes, blow by blow, in my blog a few times, plus
have this whole CP4E page with a lot of writings.  But maybe none of
that counts.

http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/pymath.html

Plus I did a class for Portland Public Schools (all 8th graders @ Winterhaven).
I was asked by the administration to make it more geographical in nature,
and that's what I did.  I'd like to explore this approach again sometime soon.

http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/winterhaven/

> I'm seriously thinking about using Scratch rather than Python, for just that
> reason -- the cool factor is built-in, it's as accessible as "if" or
> "while".

Why think either/or?  Use Scratch *and* Python.