[Edu-sig] Newbie question

Antoine van Gelder hummingbird at hivemind.net
Thu Jul 19 02:26:53 CEST 2007

Guido wrote:
> Our plan has three components:
>
>     * Develop a new computing curriculum suitable for high school and college students.
>     * Create better, easier to use tools for program development and analysis.
>     * Build a user community around all of the above, encouraging feedback and self-help.
>
> These components come together in the scientific exploration of the role of programming in
> next generation computing environments.
>
> We intend to start with Python, a language designed for rapid development. We believe that
> Python makes a great first language to learn: Unlike languages designed specifically for
> beginners, Python is also the choice of many programming professionals. It has an active,
> growing user community which has already expressed much interest in this proposal, and
> we expect that this will be a fertile first deployment ground for the teaching materials
> and tools we propose to create. During the course of the research we will evaluate Python
> and propose improvements or alternatives.

Please forgive me.

I know very little about the history of this forum so I have a small
question:

Which mailing list should I be subscribed to in order to participate in
discussion regarding the component of the plan:

   "Develop a new computing curriculum suitable for high school and
college students."

?

There are political considerations which interact with any goals that
involve the development of high school and college curricula and if
edu-sig at python.org is not the place to discuss them I fear I may be in
the wrong place!

Thank you!

:-D

  - antoine

--

"Any organization that designs a system (defined broadly) will produce a
  design whose structure is a copy of the organization's communication

  - Melvin Conway