[Edu-sig] Suggestion for python learning

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Fri Jul 11 10:37:14 CEST 2008

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:48 AM, David MacQuigg
>
> If you are stuck in a car for an hour each day and you want to listen
> to such an audio book, then it's a 0,1 proposition.  You could at
> least learn about object-oriented thinking, and qualitative features
> of the language.  It would be a good challenge to attempt to make
> programming understandable, to a degree, through an audiobook.

This is an interesting challenge so I may try to put something together.  I've
been wanting to do something anyway that focuses on the philosophy and meaning
of programming, as opposed to the specific syntax, and I've got the
programming background to do that.  An elegant program sings to me.

It also fits into the keynote of PyCon 2007 by Robert "r0ml" Lefkowitz re
programming literacy, whether you can ever "speak" a program or is it only a
written form of communication.  I took that as a challenge. ;-)  It may
require the development of a certain vocabulary specific to programming,
similar to how graphic symbols like flowchart blocks and other diagramming
elements have arisen.

-Jeff