[Edu-sig] Suggestion for python learning

Matt Carlson carl1207 at umn.edu
Fri Jul 11 16:31:00 CEST 2008

Hi,

I like the idea of a companion to an existing book. The audiobook might be
more useful as a supplement to a programming text rather than a replacement
for it. Instead of trying to explain programming generally or finding a way
to usefully recite code, it might be interesting to hear discussion of a
specific programming problem. The problem could be introduced visually while
in front of a computer, and then taken along in memory while away.

I'm new to both Python and programming, but I've already had the experience
of thinking about how to solve a programming problem while walking to work
or driving somewhere. I would be surprised if other, more experienced
programmers don't do this as well.

Also, since I started learning Python, I've wondered about how programming
is talked about among people who are working on a project together. At least
for those who work in the same physical location, a programming language
probably also extends into spoken language. I'm guessing people don't speak
code to each other, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more and less
understandable ways of talking about programming. These could be different
between languages too. I would be very interested to know if people talk
about Python differently than they talk about C or some other language.

So, what would happen if an expert Python programmer sat down next to you on
the train while you were thinking through a problem? Maybe the audiobook
could let you in on this conversation. It could work many different ways.
Maybe there is a recording of a newbie (similar in skill level to the
listener) explaining the problem to an expert, and then a discussion between
the two about how to work through the problem. Maybe it is a discussion
between peers. Maybe it works like those foreign language learning tapes
where a pause is added that gives the listener time to think or respond.
Whichever way it's done, the value would be in building off of the memory of
a specific problem, and then taking what is learned back to the computer and
the normal visual environment.

I've learned a lot mulling over problems by myself until I eventually find a
solution, but it might not be bad to occasionally get some help. Beyond
that, if I ever actually did find myself sitting next to an expert
programmer, I might be a little more prepared to discuss our common
interest.

Matt