[Edu-sig] school physics/math courses

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 17:44:13 CEST 2008

We do quite a bit with vectors in my Saturday Academy classes,
proposing to cover some of these topics in a Pycon tutorial so geeks
might see how we do it.  Lots of emphasis on real time versus render
time animation techniques, basically game engine versus ray tracer,
using VPython and POV-Ray respectively, Python the glue language,
model-view-controller an organizing heuristic.  This is all high
school level, but then the students I get are self-selecting, so more
interested in this stuff that average we might assume.

Physics is very doable with discrete math concepts, adapting from
continuous math explorations.  The preponderance of evidence would
suggest we live in a discrete, non-continuous universe, or in any case
enough of a case might be made such that students needn't feel
inferior for using digital tools to study science.  We'll still do
closed form integrations and so on.  Where number crunching is
concerned, we're talking limited precision measurements i.e. discrete
numbers again.

Kirby