[Edu-sig] What Linux distro?

Igor Támara igor at tamarapatino.org
Sun Apr 12 17:21:11 CEST 2009

Hi,
Fahreddın> Hi,
Fahreddın>
Fahreddın> I have been developing a programmable scientific visualization
Fahreddın> tool/rapid game maker with wxPython for a while.  I recently released
Fahreddın> the first public beta version that works on windows only.  Now, I am
Fahreddın> going to start working on a Linux version very soon.  I have not
Fahreddın> decided which distro to use yet but leaning towards Ubuntu.  Could you
Fahreddın> give me some feedback?  What is the most popular distro in educational
Fahreddın> institutes/settings?
Fahreddın>

Take a look at debianedu[1], I guess Ubuntu will be propagated
easily to Ubuntu if it gets packaged by or for Debian. On the other
hand, take a look at easy_install[2] so dependencies won't be an
issue, depending on the requirements of mekanimo it would be
relatevely easy to make it redistributable on any distro.

1.http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu
2.http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

For now if you are using babel or something else to the
internationalization, let me know where the repo is and I will be
happy to help translating to spanish the app, or the website.

Fahreddın> You can download the application from www.mekanimo.net.
Fahreddın>
Fahreddın> Also I have a 5 min video at
Fahreddın> http://mekanimomedia.s3.amazonaws.com/tangram/Tangram.html
Fahreddın>
Fahreddın> If you try the application, I would appreciate your feedback about that too.
Fahreddın>
Fahreddın> Thanks in advance,
Fahreddın>
Fahreddın> Fahri Basegmez