[Edu-sig] python teacher = mathematics teacher (namespace)

Gregor Lingl gregor.lingl at aon.at
Mon Jan 12 22:24:29 CET 2009

kirby urner schrieb:
> If you go back to the start of the Edu-Sig archives, where I do most
> of this work, you'll find Tim Peters and Arthur Siegal using a
> math-through-programming approach.
Hi Kirby,

I do strongly sympathize with your approach to this question - alas: in
contrast
to most of my students (of math), which do not because of the same reason
they do not like to play the piano, even if they like to hear piano playing.

Nevertheless I think, that not only executable notations have to be
correct but
also the notations of people's names (in pythonista's namespace) - even
if they
are not alive anymore.

Arthur Siegel was a very vivid and exiting (sometimes excited) opponent
in discussions with you and therefore I'm sure that you will miss him a lot.
He deserves to be cited by his correct name.

I expect to visit chicago too this year and I hope to have the
opportunity to
meet you there and also to find a tiny place in the ever growing crowd that
will be listening to your presentation.

Regards,
Gregor

P. S.: notwithstanding the overall appropriateness of your comparison there
is perhaps special difference between the world of mathematics and the
world
of electronic computing. Supposed that proofs of mathematical theorems
are at
the heart of mathematicians' output, those proofs *have* to be correct.
On the other hand - as far as I was told and what I experienced - there are
very few substantial computer programs which are correct (i. e. bugfree).