[Edu-sig] Why Python?

chris at seberino.org chris at seberino.org
Mon Apr 12 04:15:13 CEST 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 09:51:48PM -0400, calcpage at aol.com wrote:
> As a Computer Science teacher, I am used to teaching my students a
> number of introductory languages before they get to AP CS.  I am never
> satisfied with just one approach.  I am going to dump all that in favor
> of python next year.  So, if Computer Science teachers end up using
> python, I will be in the odd position of teaching only python for 2
> years of High School.  You know, that wouldn't be all bad, my students
> would then have a lot more experience with python before the AP exam.
> As a Math teacher, this scenario is also appealing as I would have more
> time fo math topics too (Discrete Math or Pythonic Math)!

Jorge

I've enjoyed your comments on AP Calc list and now here.  Ever heard of
Teach Scheme/Reach Java (http://http://www.teach-scheme.org)?  I like the idea
of starting the AP CS year with a clean language and then "reaching" or
finishing with Java.

I wonder if AP CS with Python and Java would be ideal.

Ideally we would have the same kids for a few years so that we could really
sail in math classes with kids that know Python fairly well.

cs