[Edu-sig] Why Python?

Daniel Ajoy da.ajoy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 06:57:40 CEST 2010

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:51:16 -0500, <edu-sig-request at python.org> wrote:

>>> Likewise, an introductory computer language should be
>>> close to self-explanatory. ?It will be difficult to get math and science
>>> teachers to accept it, if they have to make extra efforts explaining the
>>> notation. ?Getting math and science teachers to accept computation as a
>>> vital part of their curricula is my current focus, so I wouldn't try to push
>>> something like your example above.
>
> There are a number of math, science, and Computer Science textbooks in
> which APL or J is the math notation throughout, being taught only as
> needed without interrupting the main sequence of ideas. I can give you
> citations. There is very little done in this manner in any other
> programming language. (If you have seen some, please send me the
> information.) I much prefer this approach to the usual one of teaching
> programming language syntax and semantics in a vacuum, with no
> systematic application to anything.

I attest to this.

Those books use the language as "executable notation".

I've been trying to do the same with LogoFE for some time, here for example:

http://neoparaiso.com/logo/olimpiada-matematica-nivel-1.html

You might notice there is very few procedure definitions. Solutions to problems are simply transformations of inputs into outputs.

The process of finding a solution to a problem is simply: showing (printing) the steps that convert the inputs into the solution.

Daniel