[Edu-sig] modules "versus" programs

Daniel Ajoy da.ajoy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 19:13:50 CEST 2010

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 05:00:03 -0500, <edu-sig-request at python.org> wrote:

> Apropos:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2006-July/1031208.html
>
> Static data that doesn't need updating a lot might be easiest.
> I was recently suggesting the Periodic Table would make a
> good module.  Constellations and their contained stars, some
> info about each star...  of course such modules would take
> work.  I'm thinking governments are especially positioned to
> serve the schools by this means.  Moving to Python in
> technology and humanities subjects (not mutually exclusive)
> would mean using modules such as these to better communicate
> with a learning, studious public.  Our new kind of math course
> would have an easier time getting off the ground if such
> resources were to become more available IMO.

I do to. Remember this:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Educational_content_ideas/data_sets

Since then, I've identified other datasets I would like to have available like:

* stats on the number and type of errors by children while learning their multiplication tables. Because I still need a way to identify easy multiplication facts from hard multiplication facts. And which facts get confused with each other.

* sudoku puzzles and solutions. Because I wanted to create these:

http://neoparaiso.com/imprimir/sudoku-de-fracciones.html

http://neoparaiso.com/imprimir/sudoku-tablas-multiplicar.html

* crossword templates. Because I want to create nice math crosswords.

* conjugation of verbs in Spanish

* maze structures. Though, I can create those with a little effort.

* areas and subareas of economical activity. Like, you can go into Finance, and then specialize in Banking. Maybe useful for career exploration...

Daniel