[Edu-sig] Renaming PyWhip

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 04:46:01 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 5:52 PM, David MacQuigg <macquigg at ece.arizona.edu>wrote:

> PyKata ... YES!! Please don't tell me this means something awful in Korean.
> :>) According to Wikipedia:
>
>   A kata can refer to any basic form, routine, or pattern of behavior
>   that is practiced to various levels of mastery. In Japanese
>   language, kata is a frequently-used word meaning “way of doing
>   things,” with emphasis on the form and order of the process. Other
>   meanings are “training method” and “formal exercise.” The goal of a
>   painter’s practicing, for example, is to merge his consciousness
>   with his brush; the potter’s with his clay; the garden designer’s
>   with the materials of the garden. Once such mastery is achieved, the
>   theory goes, the doing of a thing perfectly is as easy as thinking it.
>
> Practice these problems until you can do them without thinking, at least
> not thinking about syntax. I used to practice Karate, and this fits
> perfectly.
>
> Comments?
>
> -- Dave

Seems creative and multi-cultural to boot.

Such a name might get the attention of Sara Ford of Microsoft Codeplex (aka
"open source DNA") -- she's really big into Karate.
http://blogs.msdn.com/saraford/default.aspx

Python has always been about bridging multiple ethnicities.  Snake charmers
+ [ fill in the blank ] = coolness.