[Edu-sig] OO and story problems

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 22:51:05 CEST 2011

2011/8/26 Charles Cossé <ccosse at gmail.com>:
> Greetings, Kirby,
> just thought I'd throw-out-there that physics/astronomy can offer a context
> that is neither meaningless, nor open to political propaganda.   Of course
> anything can be twisted, but at least it's relatively free from the specters
> that your opponents point out.  Just a .02 cent thought ....
> Cheers,
> Charles Cosse

Yes sir.

Quoting from that very thread (on math-teach):

+++
My approach is like John Saxon's "spiraling" in that
I'd rather connect a lot of story problems into a
consistent framework, in part for mnemonic value.[1]
One may work on more than one framework. The
focus on food distribution below does not preclude
using the solar system and its states of affairs to
anchor other stories. Indeed, these scenarios
partially overlap. The universe is multi-disciplinary.
Geometry + Geography is an organizing heuristic
(a first divide, as distinct from the older trivium /
quadrivium).
+++

http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7532037&tstart=0

Thanks for jumping in.